WATER AND HEALTH
Alpana Kateja (ed.)
Publication Year 2017
Pages 288 pages
Sale Territory World (Except USA and Canada)
About the Book
In spite of recent surge of interest in health issues, the impact of water on health has not elicited much attention in the academia. Though fluoride and heavy metals have been fairly researched, literature on nitrate and salinity is scanty; lack of sanitation and its resultant impact on health still remains under researched. One of the reasons for this can be attributed to the existence of diverse forms of contaminations and the variety of risks attached to each one. The present volume focuses on growing threats to health from detrimental pollutants in water, the life giving substance.
The book, divided into four sections, incorporates assemblage of diverse ideas in the discourse to take a holistic view of the issue. It benefits from the valuable contributions of environmentalists, medical practitioners, educationists and economists alike. Containing a wide array of empirical analyses and field level case studies, the volume has metamorphosed into an interesting and useful compendium of issues such as pollution caused by pesticide and heavy metals; health impact of contaminants like fluoride, nitrate, and salinity; and lack of safe drinking water and sanitation. The book seeks to attract the attention of academicians and policy makers to the alarming situation and strong actions that need to be taken to save human life and the ecosystem.
Sunil Kumar Gupta
Swatantra Kumar Dubey
Section–I: Pesticides and Health
2. Persistent Pollutants and Human Health / Pradeep Bhatnagar and Sreemoyee Chatterjee
3. Detrimental Outcome on the Human Health with the Emergent Usage of Pesticides / Ashu Chaudhary, Anshul Singh, Priyanka Sharma and S.C. Joshi
4. Impact of Pesticides on Human Health / Yasmeen Khan
Section–II: Fluoride and Health
5. Fluoride and Health Hazards / Nisha Jain and S.C. Joshi
6. Impact of Flurosis on Nutrient Intake among School Going Children / Mukta Agrawal, Ritu Babel and Sunil K. Gupta
7. Prevalence of Dental Fluorosis Due to Fluoride in Drinking Water: A Case Study of Peeplu Tehsil / A.B. Gupta, Kanika Saxena, Neelam Kothari and Shruti Jain
8. Fluoride Content of Food Items Grown and Consumed in Fluorosis Affected Areas of Rajasthan / Ritu Babel, Mukta Agrawal and Sunil K. Gupta
Section–III: Nitrate, Heavy Metals and Salinity
9. Environmental Health Aspects of Nitrate Toxicity in Humans and its Mitigation Measures / Sunil K. Gupta
10. Socio-Economic and Health Impacts of Waterlogging and Water Pollution in IGNP, Stage I Canals / A.N. Arora and Rohit Goyal
11. Impact of Heavy Metals on Human Health: Assessment of Sanganer Area Textile Waste Water / Jaishree
Section–IV: Sanitation and Health
12. Water Sanitation and Health Outcomes / Alpana Kateja and Sanjukta Saha
13. Water, Sanitation and Health: An Inter-District Analysis of Rajasthan / Alpana Kateja and Chitra Choudhary
14. Ground Water Scenario of Rajasthan / P.K. Parchure
15. Understanding Linkage of Climate-Water-Health in Banas Basin of Rajasthan / Devesh Sharma and Swatantra Kumar Dubey
16. Ground Water Pollution Scenario, Health Issues and Management Options in Rajasthan / L.N. Mathur
About the Author / Editor
Alpana Kateja is presently Professor of Economics in University of Rajasthan and Principal, University Maharani College, Jaipur. With a career spanning more than 20 years, she served in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi and JNV University, Jodhpur. She has formerly been the Head, Department of Economics; Principal, University Rajasthan College; and Director, P.G. School of Social Science. Currently, she also holds the position of Convener, University with Potential for Excellence (UPE) Study of Ecology and Economy of Rajasthan.
Dr. Kateja specializes in Quantitative Techniques and has published research papers in national and international journals of repute. She has undertaken several research projects in the areas of health and regional economics.